September 13, 2012

Go 'Erad' Go!

I read your brilliant comment (to ksil) on the Emes ve-Emunah poll, "who are you?", and I would just like to add my two cents. There is a klall in the Torah called 'aiyn mikra yotzay meday pshutoy'. Which means that every posek in Tanach is supposed to be taken (also) literally (Shabbos 63a, talking about Tihillim). 


Like all klollim in the Torah there are always some exceptions, like Yevamos 11b, 24a, Baba Kamma 83b, and Chullin 98b, Tosfos. I'm sure there are many more, but the bottom line is that if Chazal say it, they say it, and if they don't, they don't. 

So if Chazal would tell me that every day of creation was really a thousand years, then fine, Chazal said it. But Chazal never said that every day was really 100 million years, in order to fit the theory of Evolution. As if G-d needed some time to 'get it right'. 

Sorry Harry!; but I was brought up with 6 days of creation, and that's the way it will stay. You can take your Evolution and wipe yourself with it. And if you need help with that, I know a guy called Slifkin. Very nice guy. Give me a call.